Haide 101 level violin from Ifshin Violins in California.
Alfredo level violin from Germantown Violin Company.
Revelle 600 level violin from Connolly Music
Husson & Buthod
Husson workshop from Mirecourt, France. Honey-brown varnish, with a two-piece back of narrow flame. Sound is typically French, quite responsive. 361 mm
Eugen Wahl 1954
Made in Karlsruhe, Germany with a light brown varnish with golden highlights. Two-piece back of medium flame. Bright, powerful sound with excellent response. 356 mm
Heinrich Th. Heberlein, 1914
Markneukirchen violin of red varnish with golden ground. One-piece slab-cut back. Boasts a large, warm sound with a hint of an edge. 356 mm
Heinrich Th. Heberlein, 1903
Markneukirchen violin of deep red varnish and a one-piece back of narrow flame. Huge, powerful voice that remains silky smooth under the ear. Excellent value! 354 mm
Gallery above is only a sample of our collection which is constantly changing. The violins below are also in at this time. Photos available on request.
Heinrich Gill, Arcos Caligari, Haide l’Ancienne, The Fairmount, ‘Leduc’ Bench Copy from Maple Leaf Strings, 1906 Heberlein, Wurlitzer Shop, ‘Florentina’ violin from Carl Fisher Shop.
Stefanini Studio 2015
Studio model from this Italian maker. Brown varnish over golden ground, with minor antiquing. Stunning one-piece back. Warm, open, projective sound. 355 mm
Robert McCluskie 2014
2014 Guarneri model, with red-brown varnish over golden ground. Slightly antiqued, with a one-piece back of narrow flame. Smooth, open sound with some warmth. 356 mm
Made by our resident luthier, a Violinmaking School of America graduate. A lovely red-brown varnish over golden ground and some antiquing. Two-piece back of medium flame. Open, resonant sound. 353 mm
Marco Nolli 2001
2001 work from this Italian maker. Tan varnish over golden ground with some antiquing. This violin has had an expertly-repaired soundpost crack to the table (patched and cleated), allowing us to offer it at a price much lower than you would typically pay for this maker’s work. Open, airy sound with some warmth. 355 mm.
The gallery above is only a sample of our collection, which is constantly changing. These violins below are also in at this time. Photos available on request.
- Samuel Payton – a 2010 violin from this Philadelphia maker. A Plowden Guarneri honey-brown model w/ 1-piece slab-cut back 352mm
- Shelley Rodgers – A local maker from the Newark School of Violinmaking, England. Amber varnish, with a two-piece back of mild flame. Bright, projective sound, with excellent responsiveness. 358 mm
- Claire Curtis – instrument boasts a stunning one-piece back. Golden varnish. Has a slight reediness to its voice, yet velvety under the ear. 355 mm
- Daniel Fisher – This 2010 violin made by this North Carolina maker has an amber-brown varnish and a two-piece back. It has a well-balanced sound, with a slight throatiness. 356 mm.
- Robert McCluskie – #399 is a 2014 Guarneri model, with honey-brown varnish over golden ground. Two-piece back of medium flame. Some antiquing. Open, woody sound. 355 mm
- Robert McCluskie – Made in 2013 this Strad model has a two-piece back of medium flame. Golden-brown varnish over golden ground. Antiqued. Open, woody sound. 354 mm
- Collin-Mezin – 1929. Guarneri model from this well-known French workshop. Two-piece back of narrow flame with strong vertical grain. Brown varnish. Sound is open and airy, with typically French characteristics. 363 mm
- Frederick Rowe – Made in 1963 by this Florida maker. Guarneri model with a one-piece back of medium flame. Warm, full sound with good core. 354 mm
- Fritz Moennig – Number 215 by this German maker, the cousin of the founder of the Moennig shop in Philadelphia. Stradivarius model with a one-piece back of narrow flame. Brown varnish. Large, open sound with a hint of warmth. 356 mm
This 2012 instrument is the twin of a violin by this maker that won a tone award in the 2012 VSA competition. It has brown varnish over a golden-brown ground, with antiquing. One-piece back of memorable swirling flame. Massive, open sound; a true soloist’s instrument! 355 mm [SOLD]
Made in 2005 by VSA Hors-Concours winner Benjamin Ruth. This violin #200 has beautiful golden varnish over golden ground, with minor antiquing. Two-piece back of narrow flame. Large, bright sound. 354 mm
A 2015 violin with a two-piece back of prominent narrow flame, with dark brown varnish over golden ground. Antiqued. Warm, rich, chocolate sound. 357 mm back length.
Made in 2010 this violin has dark brown varnish with a narrowly-flamed one-piece back. The instrument has a brilliant, projecting sound. 354 mm